Saturday, October 21, 2017
Halfway through the readathon, and I haven't really been able to participate yet. Today is when everyone decided to help me with hurricane cleanup, and you have to jump at the opportunity when you have it! So today was spent on roof repairs and landscape cleanup. Now I am showered and exhausted and barely able to move. Perfect time to curl up in a chair with a pot of tea to finally get some reading done!
1. What are you reading right now? The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne
2. How many books have you read so far? zero
3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon? Same book. It's a long book.
4. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those? Today has been nothing but interruptions. I'm hoping to have tonight to settle down and get some reading done.
5. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far? Nada
The Book Monsters are asking readathon participants to post a pic of their beverage and book. Well, I already finished my Spiced Pumpkin Frappe!
I'm currently back to just water, but will put on a pot of tea later this afternoon!
A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah
People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks
Under This Unbroken Sky by Shandi Mitchell
The Passage by Justin Cronin
Rules of Civility by Amor Towles
Wilderness by Lance Weller
A Dual Inheritance by Joanna Hershon
A Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony Marra
The Soul of an Octopus by Sy Montgomery
All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood
The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne
I'm getting a late start this morning. I've been running errands to get them out of the way and free me up a bit, but I still have obligations to see to. We are still going through hurricane cleanup down here in south Florida, and I have a family friend coming over today to replace some missing shingles on the roof and I have some landscaping to attend to. But I will be working at getting some reading done this weekend!
1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today? South Florida
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne
3) Which snack are you most looking forward to? I'm drinking a Pumpkin Spice Frappe right now, and planning on making chili later!
4) Tell us a little something about yourself! I'm a nearing 50 divorced woman with a ZooCrew of 3 dogs and 5 cats (and a sixth cat at work that will be coming home with me one of these days). I work in the software industry, and I just went through Hurricane Irma and am still cleaning up the after effects. I have a video of the hurricane as the eye closed in on us (I spent most of the storm outside recording).
5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to? I think I started with the readathon when it was one or two years old, so it's been awhile now. And I'm a bit older now. I don't think I was even 40 years old when I did my first readathon. So I don't have the same endurance that I used to have, and just take it easy now. I don't try to stay awake the 24 hours, and my goal these days is to just read as much as I can.
I've been in a bit of a reading slump, and I'm hoping maybe the readathon will help jump start my reading genes again. Let's get to it!