Psychiatrist Andrew Marlowe, devoted to his profession and the painting hobby he loves, has a solitary but ordered life. When renowned painter Robert Oliver attacks a canvas in the National Gallery of Art and becomes his patient, Marlow finds that order destroyed. Desperate to understand the secret that torments the genius, he embarks on a journey that leads him into the lives of the women closest to Oliver and a tragedy at the heart of French Impressionism.
Kostova's masterful new novel travels from American cities to the coast of Normandy, from the late 19th century to the late 20th, from young love to last love. THE SWAN THIEVES is a story of obsession, history's losses, and the power of art to preserve human hope.
Dekker and Healy follow their collaboration in Kiss with another odyssey into the paranormal that transports readers into another dimension and returns them head spinning, never to see their own world in quite the same way. Two young friends are propelled out of their Gypsy clan when shady characters burn their kumpania (community). The girls lose family and friends in the fire and grow up separated from each other and the boy they both loved. One is faced with an impossible choice that haunts her until the girls meet 15 years later, where a reality-bender twist is revealed. Readers who enjoy allegorical stories that are rooted in the Bible will find dozens of connections, some force-fed (“He was the Jesus to Janeal’s Judas”) and others unorthodox but mind-zinging (“ 'Who can imagine what God and Satan discuss? Certainly Job had no idea God was gambling with his life.’ ”) Christian fiction lovers who enjoy romantic interest, frantic chases by sinister figures of biblical proportions, suspense, and the old-fashioned joy of suspending disbelief will find this new dynamic writing duo, once a writer-editor combo, fiery hot.
- 36 Arguments for the Existence of God: A Work of Fiction by Rebecca Goldstein
- Alice I Have Been: A Novel by Melanie Benjamin
- Beneath the Lion's Gaze: A Novel by Maaza Mengiste
- Betrayal of the Blood Lily by Lauren Willig
- Death of a Valentine by M. C. Beaton
- The First Rule by Robert Crais
- Fun with Problems by Robert Stone
- The Hope You Need by Rick Warren
- Saving Ceecee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman
- Sleepless by Charlie Huston
- Treasure Hunt by John Lescroart
- Where the God of Love Hangs Out by Amy Bloom