The Last Lie by Stephen White
Shortly after Alan and Lauren welcome their affluent neighbors-a legal legend in women's rights law and his beautiful wife-the couple hosts a housewarming party that ends in quiet disaster. One of their guests, a young widow, elects to spend the night after indulging in too much wine, only to wake the next morning with no memory beyond getting ready for bed. Was she drugged? Raped? Lauren, a Deputy DA, and Detective Sam Purdy are both privy to facts they can't share with Alan, but Alan soon discovers that he has a most unusual perspective into what truly happened after the housewarming party. Before Alan can discover all the pieces to the puzzle, an important witness to the events is murdered. Alan fears that other witnesses-people he loves-will be next. Smart, topical, and deftly plotted, The Last Lie delivers the pulse-pounding return of one of contemporary fiction's most enduring heroes.
After America by John Birmingham
March 14, 2003, was the day the world changed forever. A wave of energy slammed into North America and devastated the continent. The U.S. military, poised to invade Baghdad, was left without a commander in chief. Global order spiraled into chaos. Now, three years later, a skeleton U.S. government headquartered in Seattle directs the reconstruction of an entire nation—and the battle for New York City has begun.
Pirates and foreign militias are swarming the East Coast, taking everything they can. The president comes to the Declared Security Zone of New York and barely survives the visit. The enemy—whoever they are—controls Manhattan’s concrete canyons and the abandoned flatlands of Long Island. The U.S. military, struggling with sketchy communications and a lack of supplies, is mired in a nightmare of urban combat.
Caught up in the violence is a Polish-born sergeant who watches the carnage through the eyes of an intellectual and with the heart of a warrior. Two smugglers, the highborn Lady Julianne Balwyn and her brawny partner Rhino, search for a treasure whose key lies inside an Upper East Side Manhattan apartment. Thousands of miles away, a rogue general leads the secession of Texas and a brutal campaign against immigrants, while Miguel Pieraro, a Mexican-born rancher, fights back. And in England, a U.S. special ops agent is called into a violent shadow war against an enemy that has come after her and her family.The president is a stranger to the military mindset, but now this mild-mannered city engineer from the Pacific Northwest needs to make a soldier’s choice. With New York clutched in the grip of thousands of heavily armed predators, is an all-out attack on the city the only way to save it?
From the geopolitics of post-American dominance to the fallout of Israel’s nuclear strike, After America provides a gripping, intelligent, and harrowing chronicle of a world in the maw of chaos—and lives lived in the dangerous dawn of a strange new future.
Also available this week:
- Crossfire by Dick Francis and Felix Francis
- Three Stations (Arkady Renko Series #7) by Martin Smith
- Last Night at Chateau Marmont by Lauren Weisbarger
- The Cobra by Frederick Forsyth
- Tempted by Trouble by Eric Jerome Dickey
- The Bear (Saga of the First King Series #4) by R. Salvatore
- Secret Historian: The Life and Times of Samuel Steward, Professor, Tattoo Artist, and Sexual Renegade by Justin Spring
- My Formerly Hot Life: Dispatches from Just the Other Side of Young by Stephanie Dolgoff
- Give Us Liberty: A Tea Party Manifesto by Dick Arney and Matt Kibbe
- I'd Know You Anywhere by Laura Lippman
- Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and Gardens
- Intrinsical by Lani Woodland
- General Jo Shelby's March by Anthony Arthur
- Judgment and Wrath by Matt Hilton
- The 7 Secrets of Synchronicity: Your Guide to Finding Meaning in Signs Big and Small by Trish MacGregor and Rob MacGregor
- Passion's Promise by Danielle Steel
- Maximum Ride Manga, Volume 3 by James Patterson
- A Hero's Guide to Deadly Dragons (How to Train Your Dragon Series) by Cressida Cowell
- Ford County by John Grisham
- Dead is Just a Rumor by Marlene Perez
- She's Gone Country by Jane Porter
- Holly's Inbox: Scandal in the City by Holly Denham