Spring 1938. After nearly two years in prison for the crime of stealing his own grain, Ukrainian immigrant Teodor Mykolayenko is a free man. While he was gone, his wife, Maria; their five children; and his sister, Anna, struggled to survive on the harsh northern Canadian prairie, but now Teodor—a man who has overcome drought, starvation, and Stalin's purges—is determined to make a better life for them. As he tirelessly clears the untamed land, Teodor begins to heal himself and his children. But the family's hopes and newfound happiness are short-lived. Anna's rogue husband, the arrogant and scheming Stefan, unexpectedly returns, stirring up rancor and discord that will end in violence and tragedy.
Under This Unbroken Sky is a mesmerizing tale of love and greed, pride and desperation, that will resonate long after the last page is turned. Shandi Mitchell has woven an unbearably suspenseful story, written in a language of luminous beauty and clarity. Rich with fiery conflict and culminating in a gut-wrenching climax, this is an unforgettably powerful novel from a passionate new voice in contemporary literature.
GIVEAWAY: Win my gently read ARC copy of Under This Unbroken Sky by Shandi Mitchell
I loved this book! See my review here.
Rules (you knew there had to be some):
- You must be 18 years or older
- This one I'm going to open up international
- To enter, just leave a comment telling me: Have you ever joined in on a book club discussion? Be sure to leave your email address in your comment, or have it visible in your profile.
- For extra entries, follow my blog and/or blog about this contest. One extra entry for each. Sidebars are okay.
- Leave a separate comment for each entry.
- That's a total of 3 possible entries!
- Those who don't follow the rules risk being disqualified.
Deadline is 10/4/09.
Good Luck! Ready, Set, Go!