Thursday, April 23, 2009
Challenge: Sunshine Smackdown -- Battle of the Prizes
May 1, 2009 to September 7, 2009
No time like Spring and Summer to catch up on prize-winners!
This challenge comes to us from Rose City Reader, and pits winners of the Pulitzer Prize for fiction against the winners of the National Book Award. Does one prize have higher standards than the other? Pick better winners? Provide more reading entertainment or educational value? Maybe challenge participants will be able to answer these and more questions – maybe they will simply read three great books!
Chose three books that you have not read before:
1) One that won both the Pulitzer and the National
2) One that won the Pulitzer but not the National and
3) One that won the National but not the Pulitzer
I am choosing:
1) Double-Dipper: The Color Purple by Alice Walker (because I've always wanted to see the movie and haven't)
2) Pulitzer: The Road by Cormack McCarthy (because it is implied that it is post-apocalyptic)
3) National: Shadow Country by Peter Matthiessen (because it takes place in South Florida, where I live)
My first book challenge! Yeah!