Friday, November 6, 2009

Referencing Friday: The Pioneer Woman Cooks by Ree Drummond

The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Recipes from an Accidental Country Girl by Ree Drummond

Synopsis

Paula Deen meets Erma Bombeck in The Pioneer Woman Cooks, Ree Drummond’s spirited, homespun cookbook. Drummond colorfully traces her transition from city life to ranch wife through recipes, photos, and pithy commentary based on her popular, award-winning blog, Confessions of a Pioneer Woman, and whips up delicious, satisfying meals for cowboys and cowgirls alike made from simple, widely available ingredients. The Pioneer Woman Cooks—and with these "Recipes from an Accidental Country Girl," she pleases the palate and tickles the funny bone at the same time.

My Thoughts

I became a fan of Pioneer Woman some months ago when I happened upon her blog one day. I've enjoyed her humor, the glimpses into her life, her children and the handsome Marlboro Man that she married. And now I am enjoying her first book The Pioneer Woman Cooks: Recipes from an Accidental Country Girl. More than just a cookbook, this book gives you a look into daily life on a working cattle ranch. Full of photographs that she has taken of her family, cattle and bits of her homelife, and stories of how she fell in love with a rancher, her "Pesky Brother-in-Law Tim", and little bits of information like "The Difference Between Chaps and Chinks", this book is a feast, both visually and gastronomically. I can't wait to try the recipe for Pico de Gallo (I've been on a Pico de Gallo kick for months now. I don't know why!) I'm also eager to try the recipe for Spicy Pulled Pork and Sherried Tomato Soup. And the Rib-Eye Steak with Whiskey Cream Sauce looks divine!

Pioneer Woman was also recently spotlighted in People magazines special Country edition. In it she shared a few recipes from her new cookbook. Here is her recipe for Sangria (great for the weekend!):

Sangria
Makes about 3 liters

2 Granny Smith apples, cored and cut into cubes
1 cup green seedless grapes
1 cup red seedless grapes
2 cups pineapple chunks
1 small unpeeled orange, thinly sliced
2 unpeeled lemons, thinly sliced
2 unpeeled limes, thinly sliced
1.5 liter red wine (such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, or Pinot Noir), chilled
1.5 liter dry white wine (such as Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, or Pinot Grigio), chilled
1 cup orange-flavored rum
1 cup orange-flavored vodka
1 cup sugar

Directions:
  1. Chop up all of the fruit you'd like. Any fruit is permissible.
  2. Place the fruit in a large container.
  3. Next, start pouring in the liquids.
  4. To add a bit of sweetness, dissolve the sugar in 1 cup water and add it to the mix.
  5. Stir well, then cover and refrigerate for several hours, giving the fruit and liquids time to meld. Serve in glasses over ice, and have tongs nearby so guests can help themselves to the fruit, which is a hugely delicious treat.
Normally I don't rate my reference books, but this one is just too good not to "rate". This book is destined to become one of my favorite cookbooks. I love the humor and warmth with which it is written, and the only drawbacks that I can see are the lack of nutritional information (which I always appreciate) and the lack of less "hearty" fare (since I'm trying to get myself eating more healthfully once again, and this book is a little heavy on the richness and fat that I need to avoid). Otherwise I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this cookbook!



My Rating: 9.5 out of 10

1 comment:

Staci said...

I'm totally excited for Ree. I've been reading her blog for almost 2 years and loved her stories and her beautiful photos. I need to check this out at the bookstore!!