Saturday, April 27, 2013

Dewey's Spring Read-a-thon 2013: Hour 3

Well, this hour Sheila at Book Journey is hosting a mini-challenge for the read-a-thon. For the challenge, you are to create a book club dinner party for a book you are currently reading.

I am currently reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and The Aviator's Wife. Since there isn't much I can do with the Hitchhiker's Guide, unless I want to serve tea, I'll have to go with the second book.

First, although I don't eat meat, in this fantasy I would probably have to serve roast beef, as that is what the book mentions Anne (Lindbergh's wife) serving when she first marries Charles Lindbergh. However while she serves it dry and overdone without any gravy or sauce, I would have to serve it with a very flavorful gravy and roasted vegetables.

And because this is the 30s, there would be some sort of salad. It seems they did lots of things with lettuce, even cooking it! And a jell-o mold with fruit in it. I think that is very 30-ish!

For dessert, I'd probably do something like Banana Pudding-- something else that has a 30s feel to it!

And there would be a cup or small vase on the table with Slim Jims, in honor of Lindbergh's nickname of "Slim"!

So my dinner party looks something like this:



Everyone decked out in their '30s finery, sitting at an elegant and simply decorated table. On the menu we have:

Slim Jims
Salad
Roast Beef, Roasted Vegetables and Gravy
Bread
Jell-O Mold with Suspended Fruit
Banana Pudding
Coffee, Water, Wine

And that's my 1930s book club dinner party for The Aviator's Wife by Melanie Benjamin! (And I'd be left pretty darn hungry, since I don't eat meat!) 

Go check out what everyone else is coming up with!

No comments: