Thursday, June 25, 2009

Introducing...Of Bees and Mist by Erick Setiawan

Today I am starting what I hope will become a regular Thursday event here on my blog. I am calling it "Introducing Thursday". Each Thursday I will try to "introduce" a novel to my readers by sharing the first paragraph from the book. It may be a book that I am currently reading, or it could even be a book that I read years ago and recommend.

This week's introduction comes from Of Bees and Mist by Erick Setiawan:

Few in town agreed on when the battle began. The matchmaker believed it started the morning after the wedding, when Eva took all of Meridia's gold and left her with thirteen meters of silk. The fortune-teller, backed by his crystal globe, swore that Eva's eyes did not turn pitiless until Meridia drenched them in goose blood three months later. The midwife championed another theory: the feud started the day Meridia held her newborn son with such pride that Eva felt the need to humble her. But no matter how loudly the townspeople debated, the answer remained a mystery-- and the two women themselves were to blame. Meridia said little, and Eva offered conflicting explanations, which confirmed the town's suspicion that neither one of them could actually remember.

I just finished this book. Be sure to look for my review later today.

1 comment:

Staci said...

Excellent idea for a new theme! I totally enjoyed it and feel the need to know more about this book!!