Sunday, December 27, 2009

Poetry Sunday (12-27-09 edition)

As I believe I've mentioned before, I love Ovid. He was erotic and bawdy, and at times he and Petronius can make me laugh (although Petronius was more the "dirty old man".)

This poem is quite long in its entirety, so here I give you just a sampling...


Either She Was Fool...

by Ovid

Either she was fool, or her attire was bad,
Or she was not the wench I wished to have had.
Idly I lay with her, as if I loved not,
And like a burden grieved the bed that moved not.
Though both of us performed our true intent,
Yet could I not cast anchor where I meant.
She on my neck her ivory arms did throw,
Her arms far whiter than the Scythian snow.
And eagerly she kissed me with her tongue,
And under mine her wanton thigh she flung,
Yes, and she soothed me up, and called me "Sir,"
And used all speech that might provoke and stir.
Yet like as if cold hemlock I had drunk,
It mocked me, hung down the head and sunk.
Like a dull cipher, or rude block I lay,
Or shade, or body was I, who can say?
What will my age do, age I cannot shun,
When in my prime my force is spent and done?
I blush, that being youthful, hot, and lusty,
I prove nor youth nor man, but old and rusty.

1 comment:

Staci said...

OMG...that was funny and yes, very bawdy!!