Thursday, January 6, 2011

Introducing...Cheap Cabernet by Cathie Beck

Introducing a book through the first chapter or so...

We are hurtling north of Denver on Interstate 25 in Denise's death-trap, bottle-cap excuse of a car, at eighty-three miles per hour, with the plan to stalk Jerry Jeff Walker of "Mr. Bojangles" and "Up Against the Wall Redneck Mother" fame.

It's important to note the "Up Against the Wall Redneck Mother" fame because I know nothing of Jerry Jeff Walker or his music. I know he exists and I vaguely remember those two tunes, but that's about it-- which mortifies Denise, who owns every single album he's ever produced and who's brought one along for him to autograph. As anyone can plainly see, I'm not the one who's obsessed. I'm also not the one who pretended to be a newspaper reporter, calling every hotel in Fort Collins, Colorado, to find out where he was staying so we could invite him out for a beer.

-- Cheap Cabernet by Cathie Beck

No comments: