Sunday, October 4, 2009

Poetry Sunday (10-04-09 edition)

One of my most memorable teachers in my 12 years of school was Mrs. Linn. It was 5th grade, and Mrs. Linn was full of exuberance and enthusiasm and adventure! She made school fun in many ways. She also introduced all of us to poetry. On Monday we would be given a new poem to learn. We would have the week to memorize it, and on Friday we would each take our turn at standing at the front of the class and reciting the new poem. I excelled at this. I learned during this process that I had a memory that allowed me to memorize a poem quite quickly. By the end of the school year it was only taking me about 15 minutes to memorize a long poem that covered two pages in my poetry notebook.

This poem is the first poem I ever learned and recited. I'm a few weeks late with it though, since it is now fall...

September
Written by Edwina Fallis

A road like brown ribbon,
A sky that is blue,
A forest of green
With the sky peeping through.
Asters, deep purple,
A grasshopper's call,
Today it is summer,
Tomorrow is fall.

No comments: