Torment by Lauren Kate
Hell on earth.
That’s what it’s like for Luce to be apart from her fallen angel boyfriend, Daniel.
It took them an eternity to find one another, but now he has told her he must go away. Just long enough to hunt down the Outcasts—immortals who want to kill Luce. Daniel hides Luce at Shoreline, a school on the rocky California coast with unusually gifted students: Nephilim, the offspring of fallen angels and humans.
At Shoreline, Luce learns what the Shadows are, and how she can use them as windows to her previous lives. Yet the more Luce learns, the more she suspects that Daniel hasn’t told her everything. He’s hiding something—something dangerous.
What if Daniel’s version of the past isn’t actually true? What if Luce is really meant to be with someone else?
The second novel in the addictive FALLEN series . . . where love never dies.
Fall of Giants by Ken Follett
Ken Follett's World Without End was a global phenomenon, a work of grand historical sweep, beloved by millions of readers and acclaimed by critics as "well-researched, beautifully detailed [with] a terrifically compelling plot" (The Washington Post) and "wonderful history wrapped around a gripping story" (St. Louis Post- Dispatch)
Fall of Giants is his magnificent new historical epic. The first novel in The Century Trilogy, it follows the fates of five interrelated families-American, German, Russian, English, and Welsh-as they move through the world-shaking dramas of the First World War, the Russian Revolution, and the struggle for women's suffrage.
Thirteen-year-old Billy Williams enters a man's world in the Welsh mining pits...Gus Dewar, an American law student rejected in love, finds a surprising new career in Woodrow Wilson's White House...two orphaned Russian brothers, Grigori and Lev Peshkov, embark on radically different paths half a world apart when their plan to emigrate to America falls afoul of war, conscription, and revolution...Billy's sister, Ethel, a housekeeper for the aristocratic Fitzherberts, takes a fateful step above her station, while Lady Maud Fitzherbert herself crosses deep into forbidden territory when she falls in love with Walter von Ulrich, a spy at the German embassy in London...
These characters and many others find their lives inextricably entangled as, in a saga of unfolding drama and intriguing complexity, Fall of Giants moves seamlessly from Washington to St. Petersburg, from the dirt and danger of a coal mine to the glittering chandeliers of a palace, from the corridors of power to the bedrooms of the mighty. As always with Ken Follett, the historical background is brilliantly researched and rendered, the action fast-moving, the characters rich in nuance and emotion. It is destined to be a new classic.
In future volumes of The Century Trilogy, subsequent generations of the same families will travel through the great events of the rest of the twentieth century, changing themselves-and the century itself. With passion and the hand of a master, Follett brings us into a world we thought we knew, but now will never seem the same again.
Also available this week:
- Naked Heat by Richard Castle
- Call Me Mrs. Miracle by Debbie Macomber
- Legacy by Danielle Steel
- Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk: A Modest Bestiary by David Sedaris
- Bury Your Dead (Armand Gamache Series #6) by Louise Penny
- The Exiled Queen (The Seven Realms Series) by Cinda Williams Chima
- The Roots of Obama's Rage by Dinesh D'Souza
- I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett
- Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking Series #3) by Patrick Ness
- Out of the Dark by David Weber
- Back Spin (Myron Bolitar Series #4) by Harlan Coben
- The Fort: A Novel of the Revolutionary War by Bernard Cornwell
- Bloody Crimes: The Chase for Jefferson Davis and the Death Pageant for Lincoln's Corpse by James Swanson
- Priceless by Nicole Richie
- A Prince Among Frogs by E.D. Baker
- I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett
- Adam and Eve by Sena Naslund
- On the Line (Lydia Chin and Bill Smith Series #10) by S. Rozan
- City of Tranquil Light by Bo Caldwell
- Whisper My Name by Fern Michaels
- Rival to the Queen by Carolly Erickson
- The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
- Annexed by Sharon Dogar
- The Trials of Zion by Alan Dershowitz
- Killing Me Softly by Maggie Shayne