Thursday, November 4, 2010

Last Will and Testament of Joe Hill

This morning I was thinking of one of my favorite old folk songs, as performed at Woodstock by Joan Baez: Joe Hill. It got me to wondering more about the history of who Joe Hill really was, so Wikipedia to the rescue!

Joe Hill was an immigrant labor activist, as well as a songwriter. He was, most feel unjustly so, accused of murder and executed by firing squad in 1915. As his last will and testament, he left this behind...

My will is easy to decide,
For there is nothing to divide.
My kin don't need to fuss and moan,
"Moss does not cling to a rolling stone."

My body? Oh, if I could choose
I would to ashes it reduce,
And let the merry breezes blow,
My dust to where some flowers grow.

Perhaps some fading flower then
Would come to life and bloom again.
This is my Last and final Will.
Good Luck to All of you,
Joe Hill

No comments: