With the humor of Bridget Jones and the vitality of Augusten Burroughs, Julie Powell recounts how she conquered every recipe in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking and saved her soul.
Julie Powell is 30 years old, living in a tiny apartment in Queens and working at a soul-sucking secretarial job that's going nowhere. She needs something to break the monotony of her life, and she invents a deranged assignment. She will take her mother's worn, dog-eared copy of Julia Child's 1961 classic Mastering the Art of French Cooking, and she will cook all 524 recipes -- in the span of one year.
At first she thinks it will be easy. But as she moves from the simple Potage Parmentier (potato soup) into the more complicated realm of aspics and crepes, she realizes there's more to Mastering the Art of French Cooking than meets the eye.
And somewhere along the line she realizes she has turned her outer-borough kitchen into a miracle of creation and cuisine. She has eclipsed her life's ordinariness through spectacular humor, hysteria, and perseverance.
GIVEAWAY: Win a new copy of Julie and Julia by Julie Powell
Rules (you knew there had to be some):
- You must be 18 years or older
- Open to US and Canada residents only
- To enter, just comment below. Be sure to leave your email address in your comment, or have it visible in your profile.
- For extra entries, follow my blog and/or blog about this contest. One extra entry for each. Sidebars are okay.
- Leave a separate comment for each entry.
- That's a total of 3 possible entries!
- Those who don't follow the rules risk being disqualified.
Good Luck! Ready, Set, Go!