Sunday, October 18, 2015

Readathon: Closing Survey

Well, I wasn't very productive this readathon, as I had conflicting things on the schedule. I had to step out in the afternoon for a mammogram, and then attended the annual Zombicon. I left Zombicon around 8:30 and went to dinner afterward, and didn't make it home until about 10:30. Then I needed to remove my makeup and get a shower and take care of my animals. I was so wiped out that I didn't get hardly any reading done after I got home.

Imagine my surprise to wake up this morning and find that we are the lead story on Today for a shooting that occurred down there around 11:45 PM! But here are a few photos from last night:

The makeup artists downtown did a pretty good job on my bite mark!





And there were the religious protesters, who we initially were unsure whether they were legit or simply acting like "end of the world" activists in the apocalypse!

Protesters used megaphones to tell attendees how sinful they were.
And then later on the gay activists showed up to peacefully plead with the protesters to stop being bullies (the other side of the sign that we don't see said something like "Don't be bullies!"):
Gay rights activists stand in front of religious protesters, who then climbed up ladders to be seen.
It was really a lot of fun, there were some amazing costumes, and it raised money for charity. So it was a great time right up until the end when the shooting happened!

And for my Closing Survey:

Which hour was most daunting for you? I was exhausted from attending Zombicon, and was out of it by 12:30 or so.

Could you list a few high-interest books that you think could keep a Reader engaged for next year? Both of the books I read during the readathon were capable of keeping me engaged, it was life that distracted me. Carrying Albert Home by Homer Hickam and Brother by Ania Ahlborn

Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? Nope, you guys always do great! It just gets better every year!

What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon? I liked the layout of the website, and the easy shortcuts on the right side. The website was very well organized. (However the "give me buttons" area was screwed up.)

How many books did you read? I was reading two, but still haven't finished them. I was distracted by a mammogram and Zombicon.

What were the names of the books you read? As mentioned above: Carrying Albert Home by Homer Hickam and Brother by Ania Ahlborn

Which book did you enjoy most? Brother is inching to the lead, just because it's so creepy and suspenseful!

Which did you enjoy least? Well, there were only two, so see above. But I really like both almost equally.

If you were a Cheerleader, do you have any advice for next year’s Cheerleaders? n/a I don't think I have ever been a cheerleader in my life. I've always been more the "mom".

How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time? I've tried to participate as a reader in every one of them since 2009!

So that's my wrap-up for the fall edition of Dewey's Read-a-thon 2015. See you all next time!

No comments: