Saturday, October 17, 2015

READATHON: Pre-Party Post



Well, it's time for Dewey's 24-Hour Readathon, and wouldn't you know I have other things conflicting with it this year. Believe it or not, I have a mammogram scheduled today!


And then tonight is Zombicon downtown. This will be my first year attending, and this year is extra special. This is the 30th anniversary of Day of the Dead, which was centered in our town of Fort Myers.
...and helicopter pilot John fly from their base to Fort Myers, Florida, in an attempt to locate additional survivors. -- Wikipedia, Day of the Dead (1985 film)
The opening scene included extras selected from our area. In fact a friend that is attending Zombicon with me tomorrow was an extra in the movie and can be seen on one of the VHS cover, and one of my high school teachers was also an extra. Each Zombicon apparently has a theme, and this year (in honor of the 30th anniversary) the theme is the '80s. So I've got my clothes selected that represent how I spent much of the '80s (tshirt, torn and faded jeans, bandanas, ankle boots and fedora). I've already done my nails for tonight...

Maybe I'll have some pictures to post later from the festival, but it will mean that I'll be stepping away from the readathon for four or five hours.

But for now it's time to get down to business. Here's my opening meme:

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today? South Florida
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? Brother by Ania Ahlborn
3) Which snack are you most looking forward to? Sheila G's Brownie Brittle
4) Tell us a little something about yourself! I've worked for a small software company for almost 12 years where I am the Sales Director. I've been blogging since 2009, and I think that was my first year with the Readathon. I have furred, feathered and finned friends in two dogs, four cats, a lovebird and fish.
5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to? I don't think I'll be doing anything different. There's no pressure. I'll read when I can, but still get other things done. My goal is just to read when I don't have any place to be.

Alright! So let's rock this kasbah!

No comments: