Thursday, August 27, 2009

Introducing...The Stand by Stephen King

The Stand by Stephen King

"Sally"
A mutter.
"Wake up now, Sally."
A louder mutter: leeme lone.
He shook her harder.
"Wake up. You got to wake up!"
Charlie.
Charlie's voice. Calling her. For how long?
Sally swam up out of sleep.

First she glanced at the clock on the night table and saw it was quarter past two in the morning. Charlie shouldn't even be here; he should be on shift. Then she got her first good look at him and something leaped up inside her, some deadly intuition.

Her husband was deathly pale. His eyes started and bulged from their sockets. The car keys were in one hand. He was still using the other to shake her, although her eyes were open. It was as if he hadn't been able to register the fact that she was awake.

"Charlie, what is it? What's wrong?"


(This is one of my all-time favorite books! I read it for the first time when I was twelve, and I've read it many times since then. Love it! One of the premier post-apocalyptic stories out there.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I so agree! King is the man if you wanna read a true post-apocalyptic book.

Staci said...

I loved King when I was younger. I haven't read him in a while though.