Sunday, August 2, 2009

Poetry Sunday (08-02-09 edition)

This poem was inspired by the book I am currently reading (Under This Unbroken Sky by Shandi Mitchell), as it is referred to in one passage. I looked it up and found it an interesting poem. However it is also a very LENGTHY poem (or collection of poems). So I am only including chapters/verses/poems I and II:

Lucy
by William Wordsworth


I

STRANGE fits of passion have I known:
And I will dare to tell,
But in the lover’s ear alone,
What once to me befell.

When she I loved look’d every day
Fresh as a rose in June,
I to her cottage bent my way,
Beneath an evening moon.

Upon the moon I fix’d my eye,
All over the wide lea;
With quickening pace my horse drew nigh
Those paths so dear to me.

And now we reach’d the orchard-plot;
And, as we climb’d the hill,
The sinking moon to Lucy’s cot
Came near and nearer still.

In one of those sweet dreams I slept,
Kind Nature’s gentlest boon!
And all the while my eyes I kept
On the descending moon.

My horse moved on; hoof after hoof
He raised, and never stopp’d:
When down behind the cottage roof,
At once, the bright moon dropp’d.

What fond and wayward thoughts will slide
Into a lover’s head!
‘O mercy!’ to myself I cried,
‘If Lucy should be dead!’



II

She dwelt among the untrodden ways
Beside the springs of Dove;
A maid whom there were none to praise,
And very few to love.

A violet by a mossy stone
Half-hidden from the eye!
—Fair as a star, when only one
Is shining in the sky.

She lived unknown, and few could know
When Lucy ceased to be;
But she is in her grave, and, O!
The difference to me!

1 comment:

Staci said...

Your poetry posts have inspired me to get out my huge book of Emily Dickinson and try to read one a day!!