Tosca Reno is not only a health and fitness expert, but also a fabulous cook. Who better to write a stunning cookbook that everyone will love? Get: * 150 beautiful food photographs * Delectable low-fat beef, pork, chicken and fish dinners * Protein-rich meat-free recipes * Gluten-free meals * Tips on eating clean in difficult situations * Timesaving one-dish meals for busy moms * Great recipes on the go * How to prepare an elegant clean-eating event.
I bought this book in an airport on my way to a conference. I used to eat pretty healthy. Then I got into a relationship with someone who loved comfort food. Five years and 30 pounds later, I want to get back to my healthy eating again. This book is a tool to help in that. I haven't tried too many recipes yet, but I am really looking forward to a bunch of them, like:
- Caledon Baked Oatmeal
- Swiss Muesli
- Breakfast Fruit and Nut Cookies
- Wild Rice Summer Salad
- No-Cook Best-Ever Applesauce
- Vegetarian Chili
- Low-Fat Turkey Burgers
- Apricot and Chicken Curry a la Rene
- Stuffed Peppers
- Spaghetti with Pesto Sauce
- Tofu Chocolate Mousse
- Blueberry Crumble
Here's a recipe from the book for Molasses Bread Pudding:
4 cups Ezekial bread, cubed (raisin bread is a good choice)
1/4 cup dried currants
1/4 cup dark sultana raisins
1/4 cup silvered raw almonds
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup molasses
2 cups low-fat soymilk (or any milk that you have on hand)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Place bread cubes in the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle dried fruits and almonds over bread cubes. In a medium bowl, combine eggs, molasses and salt. Whisk well.
- Transfer milk to medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and whisk slowly into egg mixture. Pour over bread mixture in loaf pan.
- Place loaf pan in shallow water bath and bake for one hour or until the bread mixture begins to look brown and the liquid has been absorbed. Remove from heat. Serve hot. (Makes 8 servings)
Serving Tip: Serve with yogurt and fresh berries. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
Nutritional value per serving:
Calories: 153, Protein: 4g, Carbs: 26g, Dietery Fiber: 2g, Sugars: 15g, Fat: 3g, Sodium: 86mg
* Publisher: Robert Kennedy Publishing
* Pub. Date: September 2007
* ISBN-13: 9781552100448